This land - where the beautiful AuSable River flows into Lake Huron - is alive with the shadows and echoes of those who have passed this way before us. We who follow can but watch and listen. And remember.

Due to the near-total destruction of the twin towns by the Fire of 1911, and the fact that hardly any pre-1950 local newspapers have been preserved, it is urgent that we find, save and exhibit as much of our local history as still exists. We gratefully welcome any donations of local artifacts, memories, or etc.


Museum Exhibits Include: Indian artifacts, commercial fishing, shipping, ship wrecks, logging, Paul Bunyan legend, railroads, lighthouses, the AuSable River and its dams, the fire of 1911, Wurtsmith Air Force Base, etc...

Gift Shop Features: Books on local history, 1880 birds eye map, history video, photos, mugs, shirts, gifts, coloring book, various old time & musical toys, etc...

MUSEUM HOURS

SPRING & FALL:
Apr & May; Sept & Oct:
Sat 11-4; Sun 12-4

SUMMER:
Memorial Day thru Labor Day
Thurs, Fri & Sat 10-5; Sun 11-4 and Holidays

WINTER:
By appointment for groups of 5 or more.


114 E. River Road (1/2 block East of the downtown stoplight)

P.O. Box 679
Oscoda, MI 48750
(989) 739-2782

 

 Membership Guide
& Information

 Links Page

Historical Society Events

 "Birds Eye View"
Map of 1880 AuSable & Oscoda

 Historical Publications

 Iosco County Historical
Society & Museum

 While in Oscoda
Please Visit

Historical Research Guide
(Work in Progress)

(MS Word format, file size 2 MB)

 

Huron Shores
Genealogical Society

 

Email the webmaster